n BRIGHOUSE

editorial image

A CLASSIC steam train carrying his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales called in Brighouse as he made his way to Wakefield for a special visit.

The Class Seven Locomotive No 70000 Britannia stopped at Brighouse train station to take on water.

Prince Charles was making his way to Wakefield Kirkgate where he performed the re-naming ceremony of the Britannia steam engine which was the first locomotive designed and built by the newly formed British railways in 1951.

It was withdrawn from service but bought by a group if enthusiasts in 1969 before being returned to the mainline in March 2011.