Sarah fights world hunger
A Lightcliffe woman is set to join the likes of Bill Gates and Desmond Tutu in supporting a new international campaign against hunger.
Sarah Buck joined other ‘Enough food for everyone IF‘ campaigners in Manchester as they launched the largest coalition of Britain’s leading development charities and faith groups since Make Poverty History in 2005.
The 23-year-old said: “ The idea of standing in the freezing cold in just a T-shirt launching the IF campaign in Manchester was the last thing I thought I would be doing, and call me a whimp but it’s not something I’d usually do. But standing outside Manchester Town Hall with a group of campaigners and supporters ready to launch the IF campaign, I felt proud to be part of a movement creating change, working to ensure that no individual has to go the bed hungry and no child has to die of malnutrition. You can be part of it too, support IF”.
The campaign warns of the human and economic cost of hunger in a world where there is actually enough food to feed everyone. ‘Enough Food for Everyone IF’ is calling on Prime Minister David Cameron to use the UK’s G8 presidency in 2013 to take action on the root causes of the hunger crisis in the poorest countries.
It urges him to take actions in four main areas: stopping farmers being forced off their land, ensuring governments keep their promises on aid, taking action on big companies avoiding tax in poor countries and forcing governments and investors to be honest and open about the deals they make in the poorest countries that stop people getting enough food. Charities say hunger and malnutrition in childhood will trap almost a billion young people in poverty by 2025.
For more information visit www.enoughfoodif.org
- Championship 2013/14 fixtures: The big dates for Leeds United and Huddersfield Town
- Big investment for Jacob’s Lazy Camper company
- Football League Championship 2013/14 fixtures: Leeds start at home to Brighton, Huddersfield travel to Forest
- Talks over derelict pub hit stalemate
- Police helciopter called to Wyke
- GCSE results for Brighouse High
- Former Prime Minister Baroness Margaret Thatcher dies - Sir Bernard Ingham calls her the “outstanding 20th century Prime Minister”
- Comic, Jack Carroll, on tonight’s live show of Britain’s Got Talent
- Pensioner jailed for sex abuse charges dating back more than three decades.
- The Great St Matthew’s Bake Off
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Halifax
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 11 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: East