Officers get tough on scrap metal thieves on day of action
A loud and clear message has been sent out to scrap metal thieves as officers put on a show of force to show they mean business.
Led by Inspector Mohammed Nawaz, of the Lower Valley Neighbourhood Policing Team, officers from all four of the neighbourhood teams joined forces with external partners to provide a highly visible presence across Calderdale.
Increasing metal prices, particularly for copper and lead has seen an increase in the theft of such metals but officers proved it will not be tolerated as they took part in a national day of action to target the problem.
The key aims of the operation were to detect offences and to disrupt criminal behaviour.
Inspector Nawaz said: “It is simple – we will not tolerate metal theft in this area. By having a highly visible presence across the district we showed that we are doing what we can to tackle the problem.”
During the day officers joined partners to visit all scrap metal dealers in the district, patrolled known hotspots for metal theft and targeted the district’s borders for any travelling criminals moving stolen metal.
“These patrols and activities were deliberately highly visible so residents could see officers in their area dealing with the problem,” added Insp Nawaz. “And that includes criminals.”
- Championship 2013/14 fixtures: The big dates for Leeds United and Huddersfield Town
- Big investment for Jacob’s Lazy Camper company
- Football League Championship 2013/14 fixtures: Leeds start at home to Brighton, Huddersfield travel to Forest
- Police helciopter called to Wyke
- Talks over derelict pub hit stalemate
- GCSE results for Brighouse High
- Former Prime Minister Baroness Margaret Thatcher dies - Sir Bernard Ingham calls her the “outstanding 20th century Prime Minister”
- Comic, Jack Carroll, on tonight’s live show of Britain’s Got Talent
- Pensioner jailed for sex abuse charges dating back more than three decades.
- The Great St Matthew’s Bake Off
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Halifax
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 11 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: East