DCSIMG

Bradley man rescues children and dog from burning building

editorial image

editorial image

A man saved his children from a burning house before going back in to rescue his dog in Bradley, near Rastrick.

West Yorkshire Fire Service has issued a safety warning following the incident which happened at The Muirlands at 10.52pm yesterday (Wednesday).

The kitchen caught fire after a pan full of oil had been left on the stove unattended.

The male occupant, who was in the garage at the time with his wife, rushed upstairs to rescue his two children who were asleep. He passed them down the stairs to his wife and went back to save his dog.

A neighbour turned the gas off from the outside of the property and helped the man put out the fire using buckets of water.

When crews from Elland and Huddersfield arrived the man and his family were outside safe.

The whole family was taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary - the man with smoke inhalation and slight burns to his face, and his wife and children as a precaution.

There was no working smoke detectors in the house.

Elland watch commander Andy Marshall urged the public to carry out regular checks on their detectors.

He added “We wouldn’t advise putting any water on to any kind of oil. Our advice is to close the door to the room, get out and call the fire service.”

The property suffered smoke and heat damage to the kitchen and conservatory and there was also slight heat damage upstairs and downstairs.

To book a free home fire safety check which includes fitting smoke detectors, call 0800 5874536.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news