Fire at flat in Rastrick

editorial image

The front of a flat was badly damaged in Rastrick after a rubbish fire spread.

Fire crews were called to the flat in Smith Crescent at 9.45pm last night (Thursday) after the porch caught fire.

It is believed someone set fire to some rubbish just outside.

Firefighters from Elland had to break into the flat. “There was a lot of residents up that heard an explosion and they were concerned for the person inside. But the flat was empty at the time,” said a fire spokesman.

The blaze caused a lot of damage to the front door and smoke damage inside the flat.

Firefighters from Halifax were called to a similar incident in Union Street, Halifax, at 9.50pm last night. The crew found rubbish had been set on fire and spread to the front door of a shop. The fire caused damage to the door.