On close examination the advertisements in the Yorkshire Electricity Board (YEB) showrooms are highlighting the winter sales.
The date is February 22, 1995 and also illustrates one of the town centre’s familiar land mark corners at Park Street junction with Commercial Street.
Going into town to pay the electricity, gas bills and may be the rates, followed by a bit of shopping at the Co-op finished off with a cup of tea and a sandwich at one of the many cafes in town. Catching up with a few friends was very much the way it was in those days.
But following the closure of the utility shops many retired people did not really have a need to visit the town centre anymore. This meant the footfall in town began to fall rapidly, particularly on a Saturday.
After the YEB showrooms closed this corner has seen a few changes - a branch of Abbey National and a name change to Santander.
This is the name of the Spanish based bank that took over the Abbey in 2004. This corner business is now a branch of Corals betting shops.
Whilst the ground floor shop front may have changed the traditional first floor Burton the tailors facade has remained the same since it was opened in 1934.