THE original idea by a young Boer War Cavalry Officer Robert Baden Powell was to promote good citizenship among boys.
It was this idea that grew into the Boy Scout movement and which was based firmly on this principle.
The movement, founded in 1908, didn’t take long to catch on in Brighouse when a group of choirboys at St James’s Church badgered the Reverend E.I. Mack to start a troop.
In 1910 the Brighouse Church Troop became the 3rd Elland and in 1911 George Crowther was appointed as Scoutmaster and the Rev Oscar Sydney Laurie as its first Chaplain.
In 1913 the group was renamed Laurie Command and George Crowther, who was a Second-Lieutenant in the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, was killed in action on June 28, 1917.
The 1st Rastrick (formerly St John’s) Boy Scout Group was founded on November 16, 1916, and met in the cellar of the church hall in St John Street, Rastrick. Lawrence Walton was the first Scoutmaster. There was only a small beginning for he started with only seven boys in his charge.
A “hut fund” was started in 1927, and in June that year, at the annual demonstration and gala of the Brighouse Infirmaries and Hospitals Committee, the 1st Rastrick Scouts staged a display at Lane Head recreation ground.
By this time a strong affinity had been built up between the Scout Group and Mr & Mrs Herbert Wood of Greenroyd, Huddersfield Road.
In 1927, by which time the group had become “1st Rastrick (G. & H. Wood’s Own)” their daughter presented the troop band with a new bass drum, and the following year a garden party at Greenroyd raised £100 towards the “hut fund”. The new headquarters in Atlas Mill Road were opened in that year.
Past and present, both young and old, were among those who attended the Jubilee Celebrations of the 1st Rastrick Scout Group at their headquarters on Atlas Mill Road, Brighouse on November 18 1966.
In 1970 1st Rastrick Scout Group and 1st Brighouse (Laurie Command) Scout Group amalgamated into what is now known as the Central Brighouse Scout Group.
In 1983 the second building was destroyed in a fire to be replaced by a new and current building built on the original foundations and opened in November, 1984.
Our featured photograph this week looks back to 1991with some of the leaders and members of the Central Brighouse Scout Group.
Back Row L to R : Mike Dawson, David Radley, Linda Clegg
Middle Row L to R : Nick Hewland, Neil Edmonds, Garry Pierce, Tom Ogilvy, Richard Robson
Front Row L to R : Phillip Crouch, Unknown, Andrew Clegg, Unknown, Richard Dawson
Linda Clegg took over as Group Scout Leader in 2010 from David Radley at the Central Brighouse Scout Group, who then became the District Commissioner. Linda has been a member for nearly 17 years and David over 27 years. For further information about the Central Brighouse Scout Group can be found on its website www.centralscouts.co.uk