Determined Dave’s double charity effort
RETIRED postman Dave Woolley may no longer pound the streets of Brighouse to deliver the mail but he still puts on his running shoes to raise money for charity.
Mr Woolley, aged 66, took part in his 14th Great North Run in September and raised £230 for Summerfield House, Halifax, where his wife Rona is a resident.
A week later he ran the Bridlington half-marathon to raise money for the Alzheimer’s Society, a cause close to his heart.
Mr Woolley said: “I go running every day with my friend Derek Parkinson who, like me, served in the Army. There is always a great atmosphere at these charity runs and I like being part of that.
“I may not run the fastest times but I love my running and find it helps me a lot. I love being out in fresh air and the countryside. I was out of action for four months when I injured myself so I’m glad to be back running.
“I wanted to raise money for Summerfield House because I have seen what a brilliant job they have done for residents. They put on a fantastic party for the Diamond Jubilee and I wanted to contribute towards a party or entertainment in the future.”
Ben Maredia, director at Summerfield House, said: “We are really grateful for all that Dave has done.”
- Championship 2013/14 fixtures: The big dates for Leeds United and Huddersfield Town
- Big investment for Jacob’s Lazy Camper company
- Police helciopter called to Wyke
- Talks over derelict pub hit stalemate
- Football League Championship 2013/14 fixtures: Leeds start at home to Brighton, Huddersfield travel to Forest
- GCSE results for Brighouse High
- Former Prime Minister Baroness Margaret Thatcher dies - Sir Bernard Ingham calls her the “outstanding 20th century Prime Minister”
- Comic, Jack Carroll, on tonight’s live show of Britain’s Got Talent
- Pensioner jailed for sex abuse charges dating back more than three decades.
- The Great St Matthew’s Bake Off
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Halifax
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 11 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: East